Thursday 22 February 2007

Day 11- ten per cent of the way there?

No post yesterday- terribly stressed at work, but did not nibble on stuff as I would ahve done in the past. I am very aware that I normally eat a healthy breakfast and go on til lunch quite happily. Then from lunch time it is a non-stop eating/snacking fest until about 4pm. I think my energy gets low in the afternoons- I know I am very much a morning person, love being up just after 6am and heading for a swim before work, and I love being the first person in- quality time to get e-mails out of the way.

I still feel a bit of an afternoon slump on this diet- yesterday was soooooo bad! I was in a meeting that lasted over 3 hours and there were very nice biscuits. Everyone had one at the start- no problem for me, I had a tea (and had just had a savoury drink). Then about two hours in everyone started getting themselves another bsicuit- and after that there was one left on the plate- I must have looked at that biscuit and thought about that biscuit for over an hour- feeling really hungry and on the one hand telling myself I didn't need it, but on the other thinking- I could nibble a little bit slowly, just to take the hunger away. But I resisted- so glad I did, but it left me in a foul mood until I was able to get home and have a double shake before going out again (saw Joan Armatrading, fantastic!). Anyway, the shake was great- raspberry and chocolate mixed up with a blender, very tasty!

Then I weighed myself this morning, and of course, I have only lost a pound since weigh-in- gutted. So I have done this little list to help myself:

You will lose weight on this diet- you burn off what you eat just by breathing so everything else you do is reducing your weight!

You will probably retain water somedays, especially if you didn't make your 4 litres- so drink, drink, drink

The body goes through all sorts of changes throughout the day, never mind a week- the weekly loss and overall loss are what matter

You are exercising well- keeping your steps up above last week, and swimming 30-40 lengths 4 times per week. All this will make a difference.

If you add muscle, your weight might not drop so much- but remember this muscle will help you burn calories for free!

Some weeks you will drop inches but not much weight- keep getting those measurements.

Anyway that is my little boosting list- and now I need to run to the loo.

And to anyone that has had to work with me during this diet- sorry about the bad breath!

1 comment:

Lesley said...

Weighing yourself at home is a double edged sword. On the one hand it keeps you thinking aout the diet and focussed but on the other, if you don't see progress, you get a bit demoralised. I haven't been able to wean myself off getting on the scales but I have to be quite tough with myself when there's no progress for a couple of days or three! I have found the weight loss at the meetings to be totally steady though so the home scales don't always tell the full picture.

YOu seem to be doing well though so keep it up!