Thursday 22 March 2007

Weight loss vs hair loss?

Okay, last night was one of those moments... you know when you hear something bad and you could overeact like mad or just take it in your stride. Let it be known that I am one of the world's greatest overeactors (drama queen not to put too fine a point on it!)- but this diet can lead you into a zen like state (as Lesley has noted!), so I didn't. What happened? Oh yes- well I was enjoying my Indian Head Massage course very much- it is very practical and we massage each other almost constantly for two hours- and my friend and massage partner said oh my god you are shedding hair! And she had to brush hair off my back- now I have very short, very thick dark hair (thanks grandad!), and it never sheds in noticeable amounts. And then I remembered- possible side effect of LL. But all the threads say it happens when you restart food- so what the f***!!

And then I said to myself- okay, a bit of hair loss- you are almost 2 stone lighter than 6 weeks ago. It'll come back- anyway you got loads, so is anyone going to really notice? Yes, my hair is my pride and joy (any port in a storm when you are a 'larger lady')- but weight loss will give me a few more assets to be proud of...and karma returned. And I realised that I won't let anything-ANYTHING- stand in the way of this diet and reaching my goal. I am in love with this diet- if this diet needed a kidney I'd be first in the queue! I know this is weird. I know I should not be this emotional about a diet- but I cannot imagine ever leaving the diet behind. The though of saying goodbye is almost too much to bear. What happened to the 'omg I'll never not eat for 100 days, I cannot wait for it to be over and eat a bag of crisps again' attitude. How can I not want the diet to end????

Perhaps it was all that indian head- perhaps learning how to cleanse chakras has lifted me closer to nirvanah. Perhaps I am just mad (quite frankly I have actually been mad in the past). Who knows? Perhaps having a colonic (my two stone 'treat'-see ideas for treats thread on minimins) will bring me back to reality?

watch this space...
kx

5 comments:

. said...

Oh Kathy I can well imagine how that felt and to be honest I'm dreading the moment it happens to me! From what I've read it does happen while you're on the vlcd and not when you start on food again. Don't know if I've ever mentioned that i'm a hoarder - well I even do it with posts that I think I may need in future days (my drafts on outlook is full of things I've copied and pasted as well as dates and appointments!!) - here's what I've just dragged out
.... Can't remember who the author of the post was but I'm sure they won't mind me pasting it here..

"'Food Science of Velmont' Superior Hair vitiamins. I take 2 in the morning and one at night. The reaction was almost immediate. My hair loss now is minimum. I feel so much better about the whole hair loss issue".
I said I was going to get some the next time I was near a Holland and Barrett which is where the lady bought them but up to now I haven't been anywhere near one of their shops.

Very good news that you're in such a calm and mellow state that nothing bothers you - that is so good for you.

And yes, I'm emotional about the diet too!

Cath
x

Hippoellie said...

Thanks Cath- that is really useful info- I will look in H&B- honestly between the bio oil, firming lotion, hair loss vits and the diet itslef I am awash with products in packets!! Still better than having a fridge full of ready meals and wall to wall pringles on my kitchen surfaces.

I don't think the hair loss happens to everyone, so fingers crossed it doesn't happen to you!
Staying mellow (though TOTM due next week so it may not last :) )
Kathy x

. said...

LOL Kathy you sound just like me = my dressing table is full of oils and creams .... there's one that hubby hates as he says I smell of antiseptic --- then in the bathroom I've got the bust gel ... doing all I can to firm up what I've got - now just hoping that it all works!

Thinking about it though all this stuff seeping into our skins must weigh a bit!

Cath

Lesley said...

Yup, defintely mad as a fish! NO, actually pretty sane. When yo find something that works this well you have to prioritise it and that might even mean making weight loss more important than hair loss! Hope it's only a blip though.

I was incredibly emotional about the diet when my doc threatened to tell me to come off it. In fact started blubbing in the surgery! Still, it worked and he backed off so not a bad ploy (wasn't a ploy - I'm just a big softie).

So, I know where you're coming from.

Good luck with the vitamins.

Lesley x

SoonBeSlim... It's True! said...

I also dread this day as my hair is only just starting to recover after my last pregnancy (2years).

Well done for keeping so calm and an advert for Indian Head Massage to boot.

In my class this week we talked about hair loss and the LLC said we could take the 'Hair & Nails' vitamins at Holand & Barrett. She told us not to bother until it happens, however thought that would be too late!

Anyway, keep going

Sam